Choosing the Right Workflow Software
What kind of workflow software is best for your company? If you’re looking for very simple workflows, there are plenty of workflow software solutions out there. But if your business processes are complex, and you require them to integrate with additional systems such as SharePoint, CRM and ERP, you may consider a BPM Software, which includes rapid design, integration and change. This article explains why.
Types of Workflow Software
Workflow Software can be categorized in three ways: Feature-based, Integration-based, Technology-based.
According to the Feature-based model, workflow products run from very basic to advanced as follows:
- Basic workflow automation.
- Classic BPM suites.
- Intelligent BPM suites (iBPMS).
The Integration-based model looks at how the workflow tool is implemented or integrated within another system. Here are some of the options:
- Workflow tool runs independently.
- Workflow tool is installed as a plugin/add-on to an enterprise product such as SharePoint or Dynamics.
- Workflow tool can run independently, but it includes integration options.
The Technology model looks at the technology upon which the software is built. The most common are:
- Microsoft-based tools (.NET).
- Java-based tools.
The base technology is an important factor. If your business uses Microsoft technologies (e.g. .NET), your process designer and integrators will have a difficult time with a Java-based workflow tool. The tool you choose should be aligned with your company’s general technology road map.
So, how do I know what Workflow Software is right for my company?
The key is to take a good look at your company’s requirements.
- First consider the type of technology which your company uses already.
- If you’re a small company, or if you need a workflow which is not going to change much, and doesn’t require complex integration, you may well be looking for a basic workflow tool.
- Medium-large sized companies invariably have more advanced requirements, more integration needs and will therefore need to examine workflow software with higher level capabilities.
- Both small and large companies often require a tool that enables rapid change to the flow or business rules of the workflow.
In the latter two scenarios above, a BPM Suite, and often an iBPMS is the option that analysts recommend.
PNMsoft Sequence – an iBPMS
PNMsoft SequenceTM is an Intelligent BPM Software Suite (on Gartner’s MQ for iBPMS), which enables you to design workflows on a visual canvas. PNMsoft Sequence is based on Microsoft .NET technology. It’s the only pure BPM vendor on Gartner’s MQ that is Microsoft-based.
PNMsoft SequenceTM includes the following intelligent workflow features:
- Drag and drop activities
- Flow (IfElse, Split, And, Or) activities
- Rapid design of Web Forms for end users
- Server side and Database activities
- Out-of-the-box integration with CRM, ERP and SharePoint
- Web Service, WCF and DB Listener Activities
- Collaborative Power User and Developer Tools
- On-premise, cloud and mobile deployment
Complete the form below for a demo of PNMsoft SequenceTM: